Wiawso Training College (now known as Wiawso College of Education) was established in 1952 as a Day school in Accra with the purpose of training both teachers and priests for the church schools.
The first Principal Mr. J.T.N. Yankah (an Anglican) was succeeded by Mr. Blankson (also an Anglican) in 1954, when the college was moved from Accra to Kumasi through the direction and instrumentality of Bishop R. R. Roseveare to occupy the just defunct St. Augustine’s Seminary in Kumasi. In 1961 in line with Government Policy, the college then known as Wiawso Training College (WATICO) was to be permanently located at Sefwi Wiawso. Nana Kojo Aduhene, the Omanhene of Sefwi Wiawso Traditional Council, generously donated the present site for the establishment of the college. Since its establishment, the College has maintained its original purpose of providing initial teacher training courses for its students. Beginning from 2004/2005 academic year, the College has offered a three-year Diploma in Basic Education programme with emphasis on Science, Mathematics and Technical Education. Wiawso College of Education is a mixed boarding institution firmly rooted in its motto: CORDI MANUI ET CAPITI, a Latin phrase which means “with heart, hands, and head”. The fundamental aim of the College therefore has always been the production of intelligent and dynamic teachers with high moral fibre.The College does not only train teachers to go and teach, but it also encourages teachers to accept postings into rural and deprived areas. The College is affiliated to the University of Cape Coast. The programmes offered by the College are Science/Mathematics, Technical Mathematics and General.
The school will collaborate with all partners to ensure that students are adequately trained, motivated and resourced to provide high quality health care to clients/patients.